Five U of A music students advance to NATS conference finals
From left to right: Juan Garcia, Associate Professor Moon-Sook Park, Tori Rudolph, Gloria Deveraux, Caroline Kulas, Assistant Professor Lenora Green-Turner, Markell Cox, Instructor Lauren Clare.
On November 12 and 13, a delegation of five voice majors represented the U of A at the 46th conference of the National Association of Teachers of the Chant-Sud region held at the University of the South from Mississippi to Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Over 250 singing students from Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi competed in various categories. The preliminary round went virtually and seven U of A students advanced to the semi-finals live, while five students advanced to the final.
Congratulations to the following finalists:
- Markell Cox: 2nd place, first year classic TBB (pupil of instructor Lauren Clare)
- Gloria Deveraux: 3rd place, Upper Advanced Classical Treble & TBB (student of associate professor Moon-Sook Park)
- Juan Garcia: 1st place Upper Advanced Classical Treble & TBB (student of Moon-Sook Park) and one of the five singers selected for the German Lieder Masterclass
- Caroline Kulas: 4th place in first year in classical treble and 2nd in treble in lower musical theater (student of Assistant Professor Lenora Green-Turner)
- Tori Rudolph: 1st place Lower Advanced Classical Treble (Moon-Sook Park student)
All finalists are eligible to apply for the National Student Auditions, which will be held in Chicago, Illinois, July 1-6, 2022. Congratulations!